Research projects continually evolve. This is a list of typical projects from the recent past.
Removal of Emerging Compounds
- Investigation of the effectiveness of UV+hydrogen peroxide advanced oxidation for the removal of taste and odour compounds.
- The use of granular activated carbon for the control of emerging contaminants.
Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment (QMRA)
- Development of a QMRA-based model that will allow utilities to predict site-specific microbial removal targets for their plant, and assess the ability of their own treatment train to provide adequate control of pathogens
Photolysis-Based Advanced Oxidation DWRG
- Novel advanced oxidation methods using UV+titanium dioxide, and UV+chlorine
Granular Activated Carbon
- Characterization of granular activated carbon (GAC) for taste and odour control and the removal of emerging contaminants.
- GAC as a barrier to cyanotoxins.
- Exploration of the benefits and drawbacks of using ferrate for zebra mussel control, coagulation and pre-oxidation.
Computer Applications for Improved Water Treatment
- Investigation into the capacity of neural networks to optimize different treatment processes.
- Impact of changes in distribution system water quality on disinfection efficacy.