There is a minimum English Facility requirement for all applicants who graduate from university in non-English speaking countries, regardless of the language of instruction. If you have not studied in an English speaking country for more than two years of full time study, you are not exempt from taking a test. This is a departmental requirement and there are no exceptions to this rule.
The Department of Civil Engineering accepts the following English Tests:
- 580 Paper Based Test and TWE 4.0
- 93 Internet Based Test and 22 writing and speaking.
- The TOEFL Institution Code for graduate studies at the University of Toronto is 0982-00
- IELTS – 7.0 (Academic Test) with at least 6.5 for each component
- MELAB – 85
- COPE – 76 (with at least 22 in each component and 32 in the writing component)
- *new* Canadian Academic English Language, Computer Edition (CAEL CE) 70 minimum total with at least 60 in each part. Results should be sent to University of Toronto, Enrolment Services, electronically. www.cael.ca
- Academic Preparation Course, International ESL Program, University of Toronto – A final grade of B in Level 60
If you have studied for at least 2 years (full-time) towards a degree program, in a country where English is the official first language (for example Canada, U.S.A, Australia or Britain) you may be exempt from the English Facility requirement. Please contact us if you are not sure if you have met this requirement.
***special COVID-19 accommodations***
We are currently accepting the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition: ETS has recently announced the extension of the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition and the GRE General Test at home through October, and they are working to extend that date further. Be assured that ETS intends to offer the at home tests as long as COVID-19 is a concern so that students can opt to take the test from the safety of home.