Non-Degree Studies, Audits, and Visitors

Non-Degree Studies

Students wishing to take graduate courses but not enrol in a graduate program should apply as part-time non-degree special students. Courses taken as a non-degree student will appear on official U of T transcripts, and you will receive a grade for the course. Single courses as a special student cost about $2500, but up to two courses may be credited toward a future degree program.

The application process is similar to that of applying to the M.Eng degree program.  Applicants must meet the minimum admission requirements for graduate studies at UofT (a mid-B average or equivalent in a undergraduate degree from a recognized institution), including meeting the English language requirement. Admission is competitive and subject to availability of space in courses. Please follow these instructions:

  1. Enter your applicant profile on the SGS Application Site.
  2. The application requires submission of the following documents:  copies of your academic transcripts for all degrees/studies, a statement of interest identifying which course you are requesting to take and why, your CV and contact information for two references.
  3. As you submit your applicant profile, the SGS website will prompt you to make arrangements for payment of the $125 application fee.

Deadlines for applying as a non-degree special student:

By October 1, for January start
By June 1, for September start

Auditing a Course

You can apply to audit a graduate Civil Engineering course for the cost of $900.00. You will not receive official credit or be registered as a U of T student, but this allows you to sit in on the course and learn the material. The professor is not obligated to grade your work, but they may be open to providing informal feedback. On request, the department can provide you with a letter stating that you attended the class as an auditor. Once your audit application has been approved you will be contacted via email with payment information.

Required documents for auditing:

Please forward all documents to the Department of Civil & Mineral Engineering at, or mail to:

Graduate Programs Coordinator
35 St. George St. GB116
Toronto, Ontario
M5S 1A4

Ontario Visiting Graduate Students (OVGS)

The OVGS Program allows a graduate student registered at a University in Ontario (Home University) to take graduate courses at another Ontario University (Host University) without completing further admission formalities. The student pays fees to the Home University and is classified as a visiting student at the Host University, where he/she pays no fees. To apply as a visiting student please contact your home department.

Note: The Course Instructor for the Civil Engineering course you wish to attend cannot approve your application. You cannot attend the class until the application has been approved by the Department of Civil & Mineral Engineering Office of Student Services.

© 2022 Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering