It’s all about limiting the effects of combustion and creating ventilation!
- Avoid burning candles indoors. You may love the smell of your scented candles, but combustion creates particles that compromise your health.
- Always cook in well-ventilated areas. Buy an overhead vent fan for your oven and keep it on while you’re preparing meals.
- When walking on the sidewalk, keep close to the building side rather than the roadside to lessen the effects of particles from vehicle exhaust fumes.
- Limit the amount of cleaning products you use in your home. Even if a product is labeled “green” or “natural,” the fewer chemicals you can use to get the job done, the better.
- Keep windows open and turn fans on while vacuuming.
- Avoid buying furniture made of particle board; it often contains formaldehyde-releasing components. Yet another reason not to shop at IKEA!
- If you’re in the market to buy a house or condo, steer clear of properties along major roadways. Vehicle exhaust can more easily make its way into your indoor air supply.
- If a baby is on the way, put down that paint roller and sledge hammer! Pregnant women should avoid home renovation projects.