March 26, 2020
To CivMin faculty:
We need your help. It should only take a few minutes of your time, but provide a measure of reassurance to our students.
The idea is to create a brief social media video for CivMin Engineering students. As the faces of the Department you can provide a measure of comfort to those perhaps experiencing some anxiety during these trying times.
All that’s required is a quick home office setup with a smartphone video camera. The whole process should take five minutes.
Have kids? If you like, get them involved in helping too. We’re all in this together, after all!
Once we have clips from several professors, we can edit them together with cuts from one to the other. It will flow like many voices into one cohesive message. At least that’s the idea!
VIDEO SETUP EXAMPLE
- Natural window light (mostly) straight on (as possible)
- Smartphone video camera, ideally at eye level (put on books / shelf / something elevated)
- Frame just over/around laptop screen you would use to present to students
- Horizontal video frame please
- Neutral background (like bookcase)
- Meant to show you beginning to have chat with students prior to lecture
- You may also add a second cut with a chalkboard / whiteboard
- Background fireplace is optional.
PART 1: Video of you about to give an online lecture
Thank you for joining us online today.
It looks like we’ve got a good turnout, so let’s begin.[MAKE MOTION AS IF BEGINNING RECORDING]
Hello and welcome to [COURSE CODE & DESCRIPTION].
I’m Professor [Firstname Lastname] and today’s lecture will be [TODAY’S TOPIC].
Let’s get started.
We’re in this together.
We’re here for you.
U of T Engineering.
(NOD ONCE – PAUSE AND STAY LOOKING INTO THE CAMERA )
SHARING YOUR VIDEO
Once you’ve got your video on your computer, email Phill (firstname.lastname@example.org) so he can alert him to sharing the video on OneDrive (OR set up a DropBox for me to download from).
Yes, it might be a bit cheesy, but a little human contact, albeit virtual, can go a long ways. Thank you for your assistance!