Dr. Aryan Rezaei Rad, who prefers to be called Rad, is Assistant Professor of Structural Engineering in the Department of Civil & Mineral Engineering at the University of Toronto. The overarching theme of his academic activities is to advance sustainability and foster the associated state-of-the-art knowledge in research, teaching, and technology transfer.
RESEARCH: Professor Rad’s research is located at the interface of multi-scale experimental and computational methods. With a particular focus on the structural engineering aspects, his research integrates advanced digital fabrication technologies and human-machine interactive design with eco-friendly construction materials (i.e. timber and wood-based products) to embrace new design frameworks and principles for sustainable structural systems.
TEACHING: Professor Rad’s teaching philosophy is based on promoting programs and courses that offer students the technical know-how to exploit sustainable design solutions to the fullest in their future professional life. This has led him to be passionate about teaching the design of (mass) timber structures, advanced manufacturing and digital fabrication technology for structural engineers, and computational methods and algorithmic thinking in AEC, Architecture, Engineering, and Construction.
TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER & COLLABORATION: Given his experience in knowledge and technology transfer, Professor Rad has a passionate interest in launching research-industry partnerships, establishing synergistic collaboration with other academic centers and research groups, and collaborating with both public and private sectors through sponsorship, all within the context of the mission of the Department of Civil and Mineral Engineering at the University of Toronto.
- Docteur ès Sciences (Ph.D.), Civil Engineering, École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland, (2020).
- Financially supported by the Swiss National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) Digital Fabrication centered at ETH Zürich.
- MSc., Civil (Earthquake) Engineering, Tehran Polytechnic (Amirkabir University of Technology), Iran (2015).
- BSc., Civil Engineering, University of Guilan, Iran (2012).
- Structural systems with sustainable solutions in design
- Digital fabrication
- Pre-fabricated structures
- (Mass) timber structures
- Conceptual design
- Computational (Structural) design
- Digital building technology
- Integrated approach in structural design
- Simulation-based engineering science and CAE
- (Structural) design of discrete assemblies
- Physical modeling of structures
Professional membership and experience
- Registered civil engineering member in the Canton de Vaud section (ID: 528121), Swiss Society of Engineers and Architects (SIA), Switzerland (2020-2022).
- Postdoctoral researcher, Swiss National Centre of Competence in Research (NCCR) Digital Fabrication and EPFL, Switzerland (2020-2022).
Graduate Student Opportunities
We are currently looking to grow our research group with graduate MASc and PhD students.
For those enthusiastic and highly motivated students who are interested in joining the group and conducting research in the field of timber structures: please feel free to email me your short CV, and preferably your unofficial transcripts
Professor Aryan Rezaei Rad joins the Department of Civil & Mineral Engineering as an Assistant Professor as of January 1, 2023. CivMin spoke with Professor Rezaei Rad to learn more about his research direction, passion for teaching, and what attracted him to Toronto. As an almost blackbelt and polyglot (Persian, Azerbaijani, English, French and Gilaki), […]